What are the responsibilities of a house-parent?
1. To provide a warm, clean, loving home (free from smoke, drugs, alcohol, violence).
2. To provide meals.
3. Be accountable and work with the director of Clara's House.
4. To provide a Christian atmosphere; whenever possible to be a Christian influence.
5. Regularly attend church with the girl/woman (her attendance is required within C.H. policies).
6. To mentor and teach basic living skills (hands-on).
7. There will be driving involved as most girls do not have licenses/cars-----doctor appointments, WIC, welfare, etc.
8. Possibly teach the girl basic baby/infant care. (hands-on).
9. Include the girl/woman into your lifestyle---make her feel a part of your home.
10. Be there to provide emotional support.
11. Design a set of household rules (as suggested by director) and be able to enforce!
12. Be there for moral support---encourage her to work on her goals.
13. Be her coach in the labor room (if she desires).
14. House-parent cannot take rent/monies from a pregnant girl/woman. House-parent is doing this out of charity.
15. Report any bad behavior or breaking of rules---as these are grounds for dismissing her/asking her to leave the program and/or your home.
What are the responsibilities of a pregnant girl/woman?
1. She must attend church regularly.
2. She must agree to household rules (made by h/p and director).
3. She must be either: in school, working at least part-time, or voluteering at an agency (all of these are dependent on her health).
4. She must agree to an independent goal plan.
5. She must attend counseling if deemed necessary by the director.
6. She must apply/receive medical assistance.
7. She must apply for welfare services and WIC (foodstamps, cash assistance).
8. She must meet with the director once a month or as needed.
9. She must attend group teaching lessons when available.
10. She must contribute 10% of her income (whether welfare assistance or employment) to Clara's House & she must also open up a savings account & make deposits on a regular basis.
11. She must sign a voluntary admission agreement and a dismissal agreement.
What are the responsibilities of Clara's House to a house-parent?
1. Interview and evaluate the pregnant girl/woman and assess her needs.
2. Whenever the funds are available, give the house-parents a monetary stipend (amount to be determined by board of directors.)
3. Provide the pregnant girl with maternity clothes, baby clothes, baby furniture and other items as needed.
4. Work with the house-parents at all times.
5. Provide transportation for girl if needed.
6. Meet with the girl each month for evaluation.
7. Provide counseling or group teaching lessons.
8. Be a "back-up" for the house-parents.
9. Help the girl look for permanent housing.
10. Help provide items/furnishings to set-up an apartment (if moving to a close area).